HomeRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

lp shunt problems - i think

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nicky
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: lp shunt problems - i think   Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm

LP shunt problems

hi all

i had my lp shunt fitted two years ago and besides being a bit sore if i sit for too long havent had any problems but for the last couple of weeks ive been in excruciating pain .When i wake up in the morning its difficult to move my spine and often during the day I feel as if my back is on fire . I also get dizzy spells and around the base of my neck a tight sore feeling .The only change recently is that it has been freezing here <do you think that could be the cause ?

Nicky Help
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I'd contact your Neurologist or Neurosurgeon if you can, and tell them what is going on. LP shunts can cause back problems and can overdrain. I myself had terrible problems with back pain and weakness in my legs when I had my LP shunt.

If you can't get in touch with any of the Neuro people see your Doctor because you may need a scan on it to see what's happening. hug

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Heidi
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 pm

I agree w/ Heidi..you need to get ahold of someone asap. The LP Shunt can be wonderful, but it can also cause a lot of other conditions..better to be safe than sorry.

Take care of yourself, and keep us posted!
Julie
Back to top Go down
nicky
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Thank you .I was hoping for a dont worry its normal answer lol2 but makes sense to see my neuro .Just would prefer not to :lol:

Thanks
Nicky

PS What other conditions ?
Back to top Go down
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 pm

I found these links for you, I don't know how helpful they will be but I thought you might want to have a look at them. hug
Back to top Go down
http://www.ihaveiih.com
medmisfit
Admin2
Admin2

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Heidi provided you w/ some good sites to research spinal issues/conditions..maybe you'll recognize some symptoms. I know the shunt itself can become infected or obstructed, but it could also be completely unrelated..that's why it's important to contact your doctor.

I developed a Chiari Malformation (over the past 10 yrs), and we've been having a conversation about whether bulging and degenerative discs can be attributed to the shunts. I know there are others that have talked about nerve damage. I honestly think it depends on which doctor is talking..they all seem to have different schools of thought.

Honestly, every case is different..a lot of people don't have any issues w/ the lumbar shunt, some do better w/ the ventricular..some have revisions, some can't tolerate it at all. I think the best thing to do is keep your doctor informed..they'll know your case and be able to order any appropriate tests/treatments.

Whatever's happening I hope you find some relief soon!!!
hug
Julie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lp shunt problems - i think   

Back to top Go down

lp shunt problems - i think

View previous topic View next topic Back to top