HomeRegisterLog inFollow us on facebookFollow us on twitterFollow us on youtubeFollow us on LinkedinFollow us on PintrestContact usFeedback

Share  | 

Alcohol and Medications Prescribed for IIH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Admin1
Admin1

PostSubject: Alcohol and Medications Prescribed for IIH   Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Alcohol and IIH
Can I drink alcohol with IIH?
Can I drink alcohol with Diamox?
Can I drink alcohol with Acetazolamide?
Can I drink alcohol with Topiramate
Can I drink alcohol with Topamax
Can I drink alcohol with Lasix?
Can I drink alcohol with Furosemide?
Can I drink alcohol with Methazolamide?
Can I drink alcohol with Neptazane?

One of the many questions we are asked is if you are able to drink with your medication and with IIH.

Here is a list of the medication with the guidelines as set out by the electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC) and Medicinenet

Diamox/Acetazolomide
Alcohol can interact with certain medicines.
In the case of Acetazolamide:

There are no known interactions between alcohol and Acetazolamide. Limit alcoholic beverages

Topiramate/Topamax
In the case of Topamax:

This medicine interacts with alcohol

You should seek advice from your prescriber as to whether you may drink alcohol while taking this medicine.

Lasix/Furosemide

Limit alcoholic beverages

Methazolamide/Neptazane

Limit alcoholic beverages.

We hope this gives you clear guidelines regarding alcohol consumption. Please remember that alcohol can cause dehydration, and when consumed with diuretic medication you must remember to drink equal amounts of water to prevent the effects of dehydration, which may be confused with a high pressure headache.

NHS Choices wrote:
Alcohol
Dehydration can also occur as a result of drinking too much alcohol. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means that it makes you urinate more.

The headache associated with a hangover indicates that your body is dehydrated. This is why it's important to drink plenty of water when you've been drinking alcohol.

Mild to moderate dehydration
The first sign of dehydration is thirst. Other symptoms may include:
dizziness or light-headedness
headache
tiredness
dry mouth, lips and eyes
concentrated urine (dark yellow)
passing only small amounts of urine infrequently (less than three or four times a day)

Moderate dehydration causes you to lose strength and stamina. It's the primary cause of heat exhaustion. You should be able to reverse mild to moderate dehydration by drinking more fluids, without medical attention.

If dehydration is ongoing (chronic), it can affect your kidney function and cause kidney stones to develop. It can also cause:

liver, joint and muscle damage
cholesterol problems
constipation

Severe dehydration
Untreated mild or moderate dehydration can lead to severe dehydration.
Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and requires immediate medical attention. You should seek medical attention if you or your child has any of the following symptoms:

dry, wrinkled skin that sags slowly into position when pinched up
an inability to urinate, or not passing urine for eight hours
irritability
sunken eyes
low blood pressure (hypotension)
a weak pulse
a rapid heartbeat
cool hands and feet
fits (seizures)
a low level of consciousness
feeling tired (lethargic) or confused
blood in your stools (faeces) or vomit